Friday, May 29, 2009

How fun!

Last night was the first session of the photography class that I'm taking this summer. Good times! The instructor is a girl around my age who has a degree in photography from NIU. She works for a studio in the area that does all the photos for the local schools. So, sporting events, school pictures, dances, etc. How fun does that sound??? I think it sounds like one of the coolest things ever! Not surprisingly, she said the in the last six months or so, she's watched her job go from full-time, pushing overtime on a regular basis to minimal part-time hours. Sucks.

Anyway, the class consists of myself and two other women, probably in their late 50's or early 60's. One is a teacher and the other is a nurse. Both very nice ladies. And the instructor, Cathy, is great, too. Last night's class was just kind of an overview of what we'll be talking about over the next six weeks. But it was very informative already. My assignment is to go out and try out the different settings on my camera, now that I have a little insight as to how they work. Should be fun. I'm going to try to go visit Mel this afternoon. The plan is to take some photos of her kids (and maybe a couple of the two of us, since aside from my wedding, the only ones I have of us are from maybe 8th grade) and just futz around with the settings. I'd really like to get some more photos of PEOPLE in my portfolio. I'm a bit nervous to look like a dummy, but I don't think she or her kids will mind. ;-) I'm looking forward to the classes. Hopefully, I can gain some real insight on how to take better photos.

4 comments:

  1. So glad your liking your class so far. Just relax and have fun taking pics. Can't wait to see them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah! Let's do it!!! (Only my face is super broken out...you'll have to do some editing...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun!! I can't wait to see what you learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First let me say I am so happy you changed the comment format!! Thank you! Now I can comment.

    And second I am super jealous about your photography class. :) I hope you love it. Im sure you will.

    Ive taken pictures for people before. They were just starting out and needed to build up thier portfilos too. So if you need someone Im always available. :)

    ReplyDelete