Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chicken Saltimbaca

Chicken Saltimbaca was one of the first dishes that Hubby had at my parents' house, when we first started dating. It's also one of the few dishes that I can make from scratch and he'll actually enjoy. He's much more interested in things that come in a pouch, box or frozen bag. And if not that, then it must come through a drive-thru window. I have no idea how he got so fussy. His mom was just telling me this weekend that he's always been that way. I, on the other hand, am the complete opposite. I love to try new foods and new ways of preparing them. I like all different kinds of restaurants and if I wasn't so darn lazy sometimes, I'd never eat frozen/prepackaged stuff. The homemade version is always so much better. Anyway, that being said, on to my recipe! The measurements are not exact - I do this one from memory/by eye, so adjust as needed.


Chicken Saltimbaca
Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 slices (thinly sliced) ham or prosciutto
3 slices swiss cheese
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried parsely
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place each chicken breast between two pieces of saran wrap, and pound breasts out to about 1/2-inch thickness. Remove top layer of saran wrap.
2. Mix bread crumbs, parmesan, parsely & garlic salt in a long, shallow bowl. Set aside.
3. Place 1 slice of ham on top of each chicken breast, one slice of swiss on top of that, and then drizzle some tomato sauce down the center (long ways). Try to keep the tomato sauce in one thin line, as you'll be rolling the chicken and you want to try to keep the sauce INSIDE. Now, roll each breast, making a spiral.
4. Dip each roll first in the melted butter, and then dip in bread crumb mixture, rolling the chicken, so that all sides are covered in breading.
5. Bake for 45-50 mins, until chicken is cooked through.

***I realized as I was typing this up that it would be so much...better...if I had photos to display. So, my next recipe post, which I plan on putting up tonight, will include some purdy pictures! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment