Monday, March 16, 2009

Letter to Myself

I haven't been following 20-something writers for the simple reason that I never thought I was much of a writer. I really disliked writing papers in high school...I always felt like I'd put my best work on those sheets of paper, and it'd come back to me with a less than acceptable grade. I wrote poetry in my early high school years. I thought it would make me mysterious. Or cool. It was neither. I think it was actually kinda lame. I mean, it was a way for me to express my feelings. But I was all woe is me and I really had no reason to be. And blogging...Well, I've had an online journal for quite a few years. A large part of that time was spent displaying dolls that I'd made.

After Melissa posted her Letter to Herself, first, I got Brad Paisley's song in my head, then I thought...I could do that. And I might like to. If that's what this writing blog is about, maybe I am interested! So...I go there, poke around a little bit and see that while there is some writing that I could never live up to, inspiration is what I'm looking for when it comes to Making Sense of it All! And I think I'll definitely get it there! So...Without any further blathering...


Dear Me,


You may not agree with everything that I have to tell you right now, but just hear me out. The most important thing that I can convey to you right now is that you need to be there for Mom. She will be around for longer than you think, but don't let that fool you. Cherish the time you have with her. Talk to her when you get the chance. Don't yell at her when she's asking for help or when she tells you to do something. Stop taking advantage of her. And appreciate Omi. She may be a pita sometimes, but she does what she does because she loves you. Stop taking money from Dad. You want it, earn it! And he's probably right about balance. Your family will be there for you when you feel like no one else is. They will support you and love you, through the good and bad times.


Choose a major that is both achievable and something you're passionate about. Don't just go in there hoping for the best. I know you think you have it all figured out, but be realistic. And when you figure out what it is that you'll be best at, don't let someone else change your mind for you. If you decide that you've made the wrong choice, figure out the right one and keep moving. Don't freak out. Don't quit. Keep on truckin', woman! And for God's sake, make the best of it! Dad will tell you that college was some of the best times of his life. And it can be for you, too, if you are open to it.


Learn to be independent. Figure out what you want in life. Don't strive to make someone else happy. That'll come later. Just because a guy pays you a little attention, don't throw away everything else that is important to you. If he's really into you, he'll hang around. And if he's not, say to hell with him. Just because you're not a perfect size six doesn't mean there won't be other guys. Believe me, there will be plenty of guys who like you just the way you are.


That being said, get up off your ass. I know it's so much easier to sit around and talk to your friends online or on the phone or to watch tv or to do anything else, but you can't keep on living this sedentary lifestyle. I know it looks like a huge mountain to climb, but believe me, it's so much bigger 10 years from now and I'm still dealing with the laziness.


Don't start smoking. Anything. You'll think you're all cool because someone else is doing it. But really, it'll become addictive and, frankly, gross. Just. Don't.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, don't I wish I had gotten a letter when I was 17 written by me with what I know now. 5 years makes a lot of difference. Love reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete